+ Reply to Thread
    i have a 1987 trx250r im not sure if this is the problem but after i rode it the other day i looked down and say that the whole back have of my atv was covered in oil i dont know if these have a crankcase breather but there is an outlet underneath the carb which i have no idea what it is at all. this is only one of the problems i have with this atv since buying it lol.

i have a 1987 trx250r im not sure if this is the problem but after i rode it the other day i looked down and say that the whole back have of my atv was covered in oil i dont know if these have a crankcase breather but there is an outlet underneath the carb which i have no idea what it is at all. this is only one of the problems i have with this atv since buying it lol.
    is it running good. Maybe to much crankcase oil
    '89 TRX 431 Puma - 50mm Lectron- Shearer inframe- +8 Swingarm- Vforce- CR ignition- Renagade Fuel
    '00 CR250
    '04 CR85
    '03 KX65
    '05 KTM Pro Senior 50
    '03 XR50
    -----'04, '06, '08, '13 Indiana AMA District 15 Hillclimb State Champion
    Higher Ground Hillclimbing Team

That is the transmission vent nipple & suppose to be a long hose connected to it, long enough to extend below the swingarm just in case the trans does spit oil out.

If you look on the clutch side cover, theres a little 10mm size head bolt kind right in the middle of the cover, get a drain pan & then pull that little bolt out.
    That bolt, when you pull that out, is how you check the normal level of oil in the transmission. If to much is in the trans it will drain out & level itself.

Normaly though, most everybody that owns a 250R, will run at least 3/4 of a Qt of oil in the trans for more protection, which is way over the proper amount Honda sugest suppose to be in the trans, so checking level with that little bolt is no good.

Once you do that little check & if you not somehow overlooked & over filled the trans with oil, your probably going to find out you have another problem causing the trans to over fill.
    250Rs dont normaly spit oil out of that vent tube, even over filled with 3/4 of a qt of oil, so more than likely theres another problem waiting to be found.
    Neil

I have never run a long tube on that vent nipple. Other than a complete soaking of the quad, is there any suction into the vent nipple?

i don't even see how it does anything. cases get sealed together when assembled so how is anything suppose to vent?

Going back on memory when I had my cases apart, but the vent nipple leads to a small cavity on the case, which has a small hole that leads to the lower end (tranny side).

I just wanted confirmation that there was not suction from the nipple.

(Boy, this conversation reminds me of Beavis and Butthead)

Going back on memory when I had my cases apart, but the vent nipple leads to a small cavity on the case, which has a small hole that leads to the lower end (tranny side).

I just wanted confirmation that there was not suction from the nipple.

(Boy, this conversation reminds me of Beavis and Butthead)

check the rite side main seal as the piston comes down if the seal is bad it could push air in the clutch case then though the tranny vent. check the spark plug for gear oil being burnt as the piston is on the up stoke and could possibly pull oil thogh the seal

Ads