Fatty, Pro Circuit or CT pipe on an ESR310? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fatty, Pro Circuit or CT pipe on an ESR310?

Agreed you can find ways to make most pipes and cylinders work, however; most is just common sense.

Looking at going from a 250CC to a 370CC engine with an effective increase of almost 50% in displacement tells us a good pipe at 250CC can NOT be a good pipe at 370CC....just not scientifically possible no matter who builds the pipe, usually two or more variables will suffer, loss of performance and/or reliability-over heating are the two most prominent issues faced when running smaller pipes & stingers on BB engines.

Carlos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
    I deal with a lot of MX & TT racers & most of them only have the older regular size stinger pipes & they have learned how to tune the engine & carb to those pipes. The FMF & the Pro Circuit have small stingers & the design was from years ago before the real big bores came onto the market. The FMF Fatty was a later design than the older FMF pipes.
    The CT mid range, the stinger on it is larger than the FMF or Pro Circuit, so does have an advantage over the other two. The ESR TRX 5, has the same size stinger as the CT.
    I have over the years, racing MX & TT, used the CT mid range on 330, 350 & 370cc size 250R engines & fine tuned the engine & carb to those pipes. Were they a perfect match to set ups of today, probably not, but they did work for us & we won championship with them.
    Neil

Is the sparks mx similar to the CT mid range pipe?

An older Sparks MX pipe ??.
    I would not say yes, because most all older Sparks pipes, were for 250~265cc size engines of that time & were high rpm type output engines.
    Every Sparks pipe I've ever seen, it was crazy how it worked, performed. They were like it was 2 or 3 pipes in just that one pipe build. You could measure out the pipe cones, do a little trig & figure what rpm levels the build was made for & then out on the track, it would have just gobs of bottom end & then sing to the moon high enough rpm you would think the engine could sling the rod out of it.
    Neil

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 96bansheepilot View Post
    I saw there was a previous post on this not that long ago but doesn't really answer my question. The fatty and pro circuit pipes are most cost-effective coming in at only $350 for the whole kit. The CT pipe is about 75 more dollars but I am new to the 250R scene and I'm not sure if the CT pipe is worth the extra money. Any insight would be helpful. Sorry to the veterans that have had this question posed a million times.
    I would give the ESR TRX7 a serious look. Its really torque, smooth, will rev decently and hooks up well. Just my $.02, but I think it's one of the best pipes ever made for the 250R. Really everything ESR makes is good stuff.

I have a 310 295 with +4mm stroker crank. I have run a curtis sparks MX pipe and a esr trx5 pipe. Comparing both pipes in a drag race with the same machine overall top speed and drag race result was the same with both pipes. The sparks felt like it had less power but was a lot more snappy and came on faster on the bottom end.

The trx5 pipe made the bike feel like a 2 stroke animal i called it "banshee power" almost like a light switch but when it came on it pulled extremely hard.

At the end of the day I went with the sparks I could ride more comfortably with it. Power everywhere was more usable to me then all of it in a certain area.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
    An older Sparks MX pipe ??.
    I would not say yes, because most all older Sparks pipes, were for 250~265cc size engines of that time & were high rpm type output engines.
    Every Sparks pipe I've ever seen, it was crazy how it worked, performed. They were like it was 2 or 3 pipes in just that one pipe build. You could measure out the pipe cones, do a little trig & figure what rpm levels the build was made for & then out on the track, it would have just gobs of bottom end & then sing to the moon high enough rpm you would think the engine could sling the rod out of it.
    Neil
    This is the Sparks that I'm talking about.

If I change the stinger to 1 1/8" could I use it on a 363 motor? Now it is 1". Or is it better to buy a completely other exhaust?

Ok, now look at that pipe pic close & look how long the mid section is straight. It is straight, from just to the right of that spring hook at the front, all the way back to where the rear cone starts to taper down. that is a lot of mid section so that pipe is long & would be a good bottom end pipe. The crazy part about it, even though it is a bottom end, it will sing to the moon in rpm.
    Now as far as replacing the stinger with a larger 1 1/8" one, that would help for the size of cc engine your wanting to use it on, but theres another problem I see.
    Notice where the header part of the pipe slides over the exhaust flange, it is the right size to fit over the flange & then it reduces down a bit which is normal for most all pipe headers, but then it reduces down again as it goes into the header for an even smaller opening. That next step down is a choke point just like the smaller 1" stinger would be. Even though the header is like that, the 1 1/8" stinger replacement would make quite a bit of improvement from that pipe.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by ct350trx View Post
    This is the Sparks that I'm talking about.

If I change the stinger to 1 1/8" could I use it on a 363 motor? Now it is 1". Or is it better to buy a completely other exhaust?
    That's a beautiful Pipe, Sparks pipes are rare, great pipes for 250CC-310CC engines, and should not be changed IMO.

Best to get a new pipe with the proper header, larger stinger diameter and volume when running >310CC, specially on BB 363/370 CC engines.

Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by acecarlos View Post
    That's a beautiful Pipe, Sparks pipes are rare, great pipes for 250CC-310CC engines, and should not be changed IMO.

Best to get a new pipe with the proper header, larger stinger diameter and volume when running >310CC, specially on BB 363/370 CC engines.

Carlos

Are you interested in the Sparks pipe, Carlos? Can we make a deal for a new one?

I know a few collectors, give me a call

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links