+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: BIG BORE suggestions??

Dchop, welcome to the site. When i'm finished with my drag bike i'm gonna build me another duner. It's all about how much money you want to spend. I'm not knocking the 310's-370 but i'd spend a lil more dough and build a sphynx or a Puma. JMO the perfect dune/drag engine is the stock stroke Puma as far as reliability and power goes. Keeping it stock stroke there is less machine work to the cases and you don't have to balance the crank compared to a stroker, and with the 85mm bore your looking at 408cc. With the rite carb and pipe i'd say around 75 hp. Myself and a few others on here ride at Ladunes also, we'll be making a trip around march when the weather gets good.

Whatís up, Bought to buy a 86 trx and it has a ct 350 kit. I donít have experience with this big of a bore kit. Reliable? Is there a lot of maintenance? What should I ask when I go check it out? I was a ds650 rider and just want something lighter and quicker. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by mwdchop View Post
    I just bought a 88 TRX 250r. I am new to the two stroke world and have owned a four stroke all my life. I was wandering if some of you experts could give me some big bore suggestions. Some of the things that mean the most to me about this rebuild is the hp (i want 60+), quality engine work, and i still want to be able to run it on C12 or other non alcohol race fuels.
    Some of the big bores i was looking into is the ESR pv 330, the ESR pv 350, the ESR pv 370, and a dennis packard big bore.
    Any suggestions????????
    any feedback would be greatly appreciated

How much money are you looking to spend? That is your biggest determining factor here. If you have unlimited funds by all means spend it with Carlos and have him build your complete engine. If not then yes the ESR kits are usually on sale very cheap, and with just a few hundred more you can have a hell of a port job put on it and make the power you are wanting to make. From my understandings the esr 330 cylinder is a good choice and very good design as far as port design goes. If you have a local dyno you can put it on there and self tune it to make good power, and also dont get too distracted by what the dyno reads they all read different and can be very disappointing. A 330 will get you over 60hp like you want and are still reliable. As far as pipe and carb and reeds and ignition they also factor into what you want. Im by no means a pro but these are things ive gathered from (the pro's) on here. And kristynluann89 is correct, nobody agrees with anyone, everyone has their own opinion, more power less power , junk, a good motor, a bad experience blah blah blah. Main thing is make sure there are no leaks in your engine they kill 2 stroke power and reliability, always stay a little fat on your tune, and beat any four stoke you can.
    RIDE-RED 350r and 250rdrag like this.

ESR 370 kits are $999.99 with a Wiseco crank; a Hand Granade with the pin removed. They also come with "as cast porting"...Yes a good value and a good buy for those that are on a limited budget, however; not a top quality product IMO.

Carlos.
    RIDE-RED 350r likes this.
    BDT MOTORSPORTS 909-466-9152 M-F 9:00 AM to 6 PM, Saturday 10 AM to 4:30 PM. Visit our Web Site at WWW.BDTMOTORSPORTS.COM or email: BDTMOTORSPORTS@YAHOO.COM 'SIMPLY THE BEST' BDT MOTORSPORTS'

Quote Originally Posted by kristynluann89 View Post
    Totally understand the unhappy customer part, I wouldn't recommend a company I had problems with either. Again not bashing Carlos, but I recently contacted him asking advice(because he is always helpful) and told him I had a grand to spend on a cylinder, what should I do? He basically told me to save my money and do it right later. That might work for some people, but me personally I would rather be out riding with 10 less horsepower than sitting around wishing I could go ride because I'm saving another grand for that 10 extra ponies. My opinions, but you know what they say about those.
    I only answered your question as honestly as I could, you asked:

“I don’t know what to do. If you had a grand to spend on a cylinder, head, dome, what would you do? I want the most power possible”

I responded:

If it was my money, I would save up and do it right or not do it at all...then again; I am the wrong guy to ask, I like everything to be the best it can be or I don't do it. Just that when buying used; you don't really know what you are getting...and a BB build has a lot more to do than just bolt on a BB cylinder.

Yup, the best advice is the one I gave…for $1K you wanted to purchase a cylinder set that would give you “the most power possible”, just is not going to happen for $1000; that is the honest truth IMO. Now you state an ESR 370 will give you 60HP, IMO that is a false HP number.

We have not seen an ESR 370 kit putting out 60HP on Race Fuel as sold by ESR with “as cast porting” (sale priced cylinders) or any ESR 370 with ESR’s hand porting. We sell a lot of ESR cylinders, and I can assure you the performance will not be close to 60HP…

Bottom line for BDTM is customer satisfaction and not having ANY issues down the road; that is why I keep away from doing any work that is not the BEST work we can provide the customer. Cutting corners to save a dollar or to meet a budget at the expense of quality is not our style; we are not the correct shop for you if the BEST is not in your cards.

Carlos
    jwags13 likes this.
    BDT MOTORSPORTS 909-466-9152 M-F 9:00 AM to 6 PM, Saturday 10 AM to 4:30 PM. Visit our Web Site at WWW.BDTMOTORSPORTS.COM or email: BDTMOTORSPORTS@YAHOO.COM 'SIMPLY THE BEST' BDT MOTORSPORTS'

Like I said in my other post, none of this was meant as a personal attack Carlos. I just feel like whenever someone mentions big bore on this site, everyone jumps on your bandwagon and that's fine. I just people to know there are other options out there.

As far as an esr 370 not making 60 HP I find that hard to believe. My buddy's esr 330 with trx9 port on gas made 52 on Sandtrax dyno in Tulsa. If the 370 doesn't make 8 more HP with a drag port then they wouldn't be selling any of them. Apparently since 310's make 60+ we should all just go buy them. I find some of this stuff you guys throw out there very hard to believe. Thanks again for all the advice. I will take my chances with there hand grenade.

Kristyn porting makes all the world of difference ona cylinder, last time i got a port job was on a stock cylinder and it was to report something another builder did and it was 400$ i think just for porting not case machining or anything else. and this netted a 4hp gain over the other builders port work.

it would not surprise me if the non ported 370 wouldn't make 60whp on a conservative dyno. and a ported 330 made 52
    463cc Super Puma Caged in a LSR Ti Chassis
    443cc Puma by Hybrid Engineering
    344cc ESR By Hybrid Engineering
    353cc ProX by Hybrid Engineering

I was comparing an esr trx9 ported 330 to an esr trx11 ported 370. Not an unported 370 to a ported 330. If you can't get 8 HP more out of a stroker crank and a more aggressive port then why would anybody ever buy one? That's like saying a stock 450r is gonna make as much HP as a 500+ cc 450r. BS.

Quote Originally Posted by kristynluann89 View Post
    I would like to see a 60 HP 310. Not trying to start a pissing match, but I don't see it happening. Especially since he doesn't want to run alky.
    The LRD 300 PV kit is making 55 hp. It can be done with a 310. Oh and the 55 can be reached on pump gas too.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck052 View Post
    The LRD 300 PV kit is making 55 hp. It can be done with a 310. Oh and the 55 can be reached on pump gas too.
    Engine dyno or at the wheels? Dyno sheet of anyone that has one and it has actually made that much power? Still calling BS until I see some proof.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ads